Bent "B" Bonnets

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bent "B" Bonnets
From: "Paul Hammarstedt" <wfme@mail.mc.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 21:53:15 +0000
Here's a tale of fecklessnes.

In redoing my MGB (new sills, front fenders, & misc front end sheet
metal) the bonnet was bent, bondoed, and fugly.  So I ordered a
replacement (not OEM) from Moss.  Shipping cost more than the part.

It arrived in a cheesy cardboard box.  Didn't notice shallow dent in
the middle of it when it was delivered.  Complained to Moss, they
returned the money for the part, but the shipping cost is a loss.
They let me keep the bent hood so I figured I'd try to work with it.
But that dang thing was a really bad fit on my car.  The aft edge by
the windscreen wasn't right, the sides weren't right, and you just
cant get the gaps right with it.

So, I stripped the bad paint and bad filler from the original and it
didn't look that bad.  I can do a good bondo job on it and it'll fit
well, I think.  Also, it's an aluminum hood, which is nice.

Are "replacement" body parts always so poor, or am I just having
another stupid streak?

Anybody want a replacement hood? (Chicago area) I got most of the
dent out with mild heat.

BTW does it matter where I buy a new grille ('71 recessed type) or do
they all come from the same manufacturer?

Just Wondering,
Paul Hammarstedt
Crystal Lake, Illinois
71 MGB, assorted 60 MGA parts