Re: Insurance & windshield coverage

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU
Subject: Re: Insurance & windshield coverage
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:38:58 +0000
> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Dave Ahrendt wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has anyone with their car insured with State Farm tried to file a claim
> > for a broken windshield on an antique car?   I took a rock in the windshield
> > of my TC on the way to the Binghampton GOF last Thursday.  I called the
> > State Farm guys this morning and they told me that there is a $250.00
> > deductable.  I always though that glass was not part of the deductable.
> >
> > I can get the glass for about 60 bucks but it's about 3-4 hours and a major
> > PITA to take it apart and put back together and get corners lined up again.
> >
> > The main agent was not in when I called so I only got to talk with a
> > "service rep" but if this is usually covered I'll try to take it up with
>them
> > again.  Or has this coverage been dropped?
> >
> > Any State Farm agents out there?
> >
> > Dave Ahrendt
> > '46 MG-TC
> > '61 MGA

Dave,
        As far as I know, the "no-deductible-on-glass" rule is a state law,
and not an insurance law.  In Florida, there is no deductible on
glass, and you don't have to pay extra for this coverage.  I think
Texas was the same way when I left, but not sure.  In any case,
unless you live in a state where there is not a deductible on
glass, or you bought extra coverage, a broken windshield is just like
a bent fender--get ready to pay the deductible or the complete bill,
whichever is less.
Scott