Re: TD brake lights solved!

To: stevet@hbp.com
Subject: Re: TD brake lights solved!
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:38:58 +0000
<<SNIP>>

> Yes, I cleaned and soaked my old switch and it worked. Don't use WD 40
> as it contains water and will corrode again. I also purchased a new
> switch just in case.
>
> Steve
> 52 TD

Has anyone seen any hard evidence about WD-40 containing water?
Since one of the purposes listed on the bottle is "water
displacement", and it's recommended for everything from distributors
to firearms, I think it would be pretty asinine for them to put water
in it.  I think this is one of those urban legends, kind of like
"Armor-All actually CRACKS plastic" or "Synthetic oil is too slippery
and it causes the roller bearings in Harley-Davidsons to fail" (H-D
is actually pushing for a class-action lawsuit by motorcycle owners
against Mobil for THAT little chestnut...)
        I think the problem is that there are products out there that do
their job so well, and have been around for so long, that competitors
are angry because they can't sell their $10/ounce hi-tech
alternative, so they get these rumours started.  Just my opinion.
        BTW, even if WD-40 DID contain some trace amounts of water, it's
water-displacing properties should keep the moisture off of the part
until it evaporates.  You'd probably get more water from atmospheric
moisture in any case.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com