Re: Problem refitting engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Problem refitting engine
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 19:22:42 -0500
Rick Morrison wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:25:17 -0400 (EDT) Art Pfenninger
> <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU> writes:
> >       Sounds like a bit more urban folk lore,I can't imagine the
> >factory
> >going through any soakings. How much oil can a piece of brass, and I
> >said
> >brass soak up?
> >...Art
>
> Enough to make the difference between premature failure of the brass
> bearing, and a long lived servicable bearing.
>   The factrory doubtless did them in batches, or recieved them from the
> supplier pre-lubricated.
>   And no, I would'nt trust a replacement brass bearing to have been
> pre-lubed.  I always assume its as dry as Death valley in a drought.
> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget
> >
> >On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 dmeadow@juno.com wrote:
> >
> >> If this is one of those bronze bushings that require oil-soaking, I
> >> understand that it is better to heat-soak it.  Put it in a coffee
> >can and
> >> cover it with motor oil.  Heat in an oven at 250 degrees for about
> >an
> >> hour, then let soak overnight. This is probably best done on a
> >bridge
> >> night when the trouble and strife (cockney rhyming slang for the SO)
> >> can't see what you are putting in her oven and won't smell the motor
> >oil
> >> cooking.  I got this info from Jarl deBoer who sometimes lurks on
> >the
> >> list, so maybe if he reads this he can confirm the process.  This is
> >how
> >> he told me to treat a bushing I was putting into a pedal on my TD.
> >>
> >> We need another acronym--  INEB = I'm No Expert, But.
> >>
> >> David Littlefield
> >> Houston, TX

> >slide

> >it

You all seem to be forgetting that those pilot bushings are not brass at
all they are oil-lite bronze which has inherent lubricatiing
properties.  This is why the bushing is made of this type of metal.
True brass is not porous enough to soak up any significant amount of
oil, or any other substance.

Sorry, had to comment on this one...
Chad, '72 B Daily Driver, w/o pre-soaked pilot bushing.