Re: Engine break in

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU
Subject: Re: Engine break in
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:06:23 -0500
Art:-

Most new cars do have a break-in period today (or "run-in" in Britspeak),
but the limits are not as onerous and are more for bedding in the brakes
and other parts rather than the engine.  The two new cars I have bought
over the last ten years both suggested avoiding panic stops and not
exceeding speeds of 60 mph and  for the first 1,000 miles.

My understanding is that the manufacturers go through a break-in process
for the engine in the factory, before the engine is installed in the car.
 I'm not sure how this is done, but I have seen assembly line films that
show a worker spinning an engine on an electric motor.  I'm sure modern
materials have something to do with this as well.

In any case, don't think you shouldn't go through a break-in process on a
rebuild because your new Toyota doesn't need one.  The motors in our MGs
are comparatively ancient in technology and should be dealt with
accordingly.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX