Re: Engine break in

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: Engine break in
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 08:35:20 -0700
Art Pfenninger wrote:

>         Question of the day...After an engine rebuild why do we
> practice
> the ancient ritual of the dreaded BREAK IN PEROID? It used to be that
> when
> you bought a new car and drove it off the showroom floor you had to
> break
> it in. Today you pick up the car and off you go 60 miles an hour. Do
> any
> of the manufactures still require a break in peroid?
>         I know what the books say about this (they actually don't say
> much
> if you really read them) some even give a schedule to follow after a
> rebuild. I suspect however that this information is being carried over
>
> from when this was required by the industry. Unless the companies that
>
> produce the replacement parts have a stock of old metal that they melt
>
> down
> I can't see any difference between a rebuilt engine and a new one.
> Parts
> is parts. Now if the new car companies still require a break in peroid
>
> then thats another story.
> ...Art

Well, when I drove teh 93 Cherokee off the lot it required a break in
period, but no special break in oils.  They recommend keeping itunder I
think it was 45 for 500 miles and under 55 or 65 I think for the next
500.  Unfortuantely the car wast totaled by a nice man who hit me in the
side right at the crash cage. the tab of repair work was almost the
prive pof the car... new!

Greg