Re: [Non-MG] Re: This list being used for solicitations?

To: "Carol" <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [Non-MG] Re: This list being used for solicitations?
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 97 16:46:58 -0400
>At 04:00 PM 10/8/97 -0400, Larry Macy wrote:
>
>>there are hearings in Washington on spam, lets hope they pass similar
>>laws to the ones for unsolicited faxes. If I hear anything about the
>>hearings I will pass it on so we can all comment to our congresspersons.
>
>Whoops!! Larry hit a hot-button!!!
>
>TOO MUCH of our lives is already being legislated. Once the US Congress or
>some other HUHA bureaucrat gets its hands on this wonderful resource we
>know as the internet, we won't recognize it ever again...
>
>After the "legislation", and fumbled iterations of same, the message you
>are reading right now could be construed as "spam." And, please don't say
>"that won't happen!"
>
>Shall we discuss inspection stickers in California??!
>
>Think about it....
>
>The difference from unsolicited faxes is... well....   Faxes are available
>by merely dialing a phone number.
>
>We have ISPs that can take care of what eventually ends up in our in-box IF
>we want them to do so. We pay them for a service. They want to stay in
>business. The mouths writing the legislation for the legislator want to
>keep their bureaucratic jobs!
>
>Carol      (BO-ring... never any opinions in this household!)
I have to admit you have a point. On the other hand I hate changing ISP's
to avoid spam. I never respond or partake or nutin' But I still get it.
On yet another hand At the .edu here I work I never get any spam (except
once in a while an unsolicited post aboput how everything should be MG's
and not politics or parts lists) maybe something is to be said for ISP
filtering and remailing back to the ISP when you get spam (isn't that
what spamhater does?) or is that another form of spam. There are no easy
answers. As I understand the current direction of the legislative dogma
it is just to identify spammers and punish or put them out of business
NOT to regulate the net per see. We alrerady saw how far that got with
the Comm Decency Act (Can you say Crash and Burn?) How much power do you
wish to give to the ISP's to regulate what goes into yopur inbox. I would
rather the greedy no accounts that send this crap over what limited
bandwidth we have be shut down then allow some pimply faced teenager in
the back room of an ISP to decide wht I see and do not.

Or just use the delete key

Larry Macy
78 Midget