Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?
From: Mark Sherman <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 23:18:46 -0700
My TD has been off the road since that day in August when something
snapped at 75 mph on I-78 on the way home from the Lancaster Brits show.

I thought it was the supercharger but after removing it, examining it,
remounting it and running the car with the drive belt detached, I think
the blower is ok (scratching my head).

Symptom: running engine leads to rattle/vibration.
Gearshift seems to be a little less firm in the hand than usual.
Noise remains as long as engine turns, regardless of gear or neutral.

Already ruled out: Engine compression, water pump, generator all are ok.
(Detached fan belt and ran car without generator and water pump and
noise remains.)

Question:  could noise be coming from gearbox/clutch? Where else could
it come from?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Mark Sherman
'53 MGTD Supercharged (Marshall-Nordec)