Re: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?

To: Mark Sherman <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 20:02:42 -0400
Mark Sherman wrote:

> Symptom: running engine leads to rattle/vibration.
> Gearshift seems to be a little less firm in the hand than usual.
> Noise remains as long as engine turns, regardless of gear or neutral.
>
> Already ruled out: Engine compression, water pump, generator all are
> ok.
> (Detached fan belt and ran car without generator and water pump and
> noise remains.)
>
> Question:  could noise be coming from gearbox/clutch? Where else could
>
> it come from?
>
> Any suggestions on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
>
> Mark Sherman
> '53 MGTD Supercharged (Marshall-Nordec)

  Mark,
       It's not likely to be your problem but let me share a somewhat
similar problem that I had about a month ago. Lazarus developed a solid
rattle under some engine/road speed conditions. Could not find it. Could
not force it to happen. To shorten the story -- it seems that the
exhaust pipe nuts had backed off at the flange. Not enough to cause a
really detectable exhaust leak, but enough for the exhaust pipe to touch
against the block and make the noise. My tuppence worth.

Bud Krueger
52TD