RE: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?

To: <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>, <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: RE: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 14:07:23 -0400
Mark Sherman wrote:

> Symptom: running engine leads to rattle/vibration.
> Gearshift seems to be a little less firm in the hand than usual.
> Noise remains as long as engine turns, regardless of gear or neutral.

Art Pfenninger replied:

> Mark is everything running normal? Shift ok start ok etc? Since
> this happens in neutral I would rule out the tranny at least for now and
> look for something loose that is causing the vibration.

Why rule out the tranny? ... assuming that the 'TD' tranny is similar to
the 'A' and 'B' trannies, then the input shaft and laygear are spinning when
even the tranny is in neutral (they only stop spinning when the clutch is
disengaged) ... IOW, it could be the input shaft and/or laygear bearings.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII