wrist pins?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: wrist pins?
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:57:13 EDT
y'know there are days when you think all is well in creation, all is
right
with the world, you've got it sussed etc etc - and then there are days
like yesterday........
On wednesday i picked up my 69 after the installation of her new rear
end - the job went well, no great surprises (apart from some hurried
mix n match rear springs from the parts supply as the ones on the car
AND the new unit were only vaguely related!)
the car was running beautifully - and i figured as i tootled off to work
that
after rebuilding the front end, rear end, brake lines, steering, et al
the car
would finally be ready to prep over the winter for some nice black
paint...
Only one thing bothered me, a faint tinkling sound from the engine, it
only
appears under load, accelerating, but is there in all gears-except
reverse.
 its an irregular sound as if something is loose and its a washer
floating about
on a bolt.
So... i went to see a mechanic pal of mine last night and he had a look,
listen
and a scratch of his chin whereafter he declared that he believes it to
be a
cracked "wrist pin" which apparently is located somewhere in the bowels
of
the engine - my friend is strictly an american iron man and was also
somewhat busy
installing a v8 in a pontiac so i confess i didnt  fully understand his
description of the
malady except that it was another of those
"sharp-intake-of-breath-that'll-costya"
conversations that we know and love....
I looked through all my manuals last night and found no references to
wrist
pins per se - anyone have any idea what these are or if the diagnosis
seems likely?
and if so is it a job that can be done from below avoiding an entire
bloody
rebuild which i really want to avoid
the car is running as well as any i've driven, so whatever this is it
isnt affecting the
performance - yet.....

all help greatly appreciated as always!!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster