Re: music at car shows

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: music at car shows
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
>> Rick Feibusch wrote,
>>
>> I'm often asked about "British Music" and answer that the only thing that
>> comes to mind is Sixties oldies as this was mostly British, even here in
>> the US. The Beatles are great but not all day and the Stones and the Kinks(
>> or my favourites Long John Bauldry and Ian Drury ) get the same response as
>> hard rock from the oldsters.
>
>Sounds good, Rick - I am sooo sick of !@$%^% bagpipe music at british car
>meets, I can't
>tell you.  At the ABFM in Portland they had live bagpipes ALL DAY!!!! Just
>rev up a E-Type and a Lotus every once in a while - that's all the
>music _I_ need...
>
>Ulix "the music comes out the tailpipe" Goettsch

Ulix -
This is exactly why we hold off any music until about 11AM so everyone can
hear the cars coming in. The Palo Alto meet brings in about 600 cars and
some people come early to stand by the entry just to see and hear the cars
for the first hour and a half!  Once most of the cars are placed, we bring
up the classical music for awhile and blend into jazz or live music at
about 11:30. Most people forget that bagpipes were originally intended to
assist soldiers in marching to a beat and scare the sh*t out of the enemy.
Any insturment that looks like knitting needles sewn to a Hoover should be
suspect by any guage!

One year at the Woodley Park show in Los Angeles that used to be held out
in back by the Cricket pitches, the local pipe club had gathered at the
crack of dawn to practice by the pitches. As our club crew assembeled to
set up our show the Sepulveda basin was shrouded in fog and all of a sudden
14 unseen pipers started playing Amazing Grace. We were stunned! Everyone
thought that I had set this up but I had no idea!  They played 'till about
eight when the fog dissapated. Everyone was so Anglofiled that we all had
tea instead of coffee with our bangers, eggs and fried tomatos. I would
like to start all of my events this way but the damn pipe bands are so
expensive cause they want to play all bloody day and I only need them for
an hour and a single piper doesnt raise goosebumps like a bunch do. See you
on the Funway! - Rick