Re: New CA Smog Laws...Now Look what PA went and did!!!!

To: pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: New CA Smog Laws...Now Look what PA went and did!!!!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 15:19:06 -0400
pat bailey wrote:
> I can't understand your attitude at all, you just roll over and
> accept any stupid law as if it is your salvation.

  Well, by the same token, I can't beleive how some people on
this list seem to beleive that every law is either a conspiracy
against them or an outright attempt to limit their personal
freedom for no reason.

  How many times has a post about emissions included such
X-files concepts as "...look out for their hidden agenda!"?

  How many times has a post about a new law been reduced to
"...yet another intrusion on my rights! I know what's best
for my family!"?

  How many posts are just classic paranoia like this:

> They just go along thinking that mommy will take care of
> them....Oh,she WILL!!

  ...why is it that the people who are most proud of their
freedom distrust the democratic process that brought it
to them?

  I enjoy my freedom. At the same time, I enjoy the fact
that others have freedom, but not so much freedom that they
can take from my what I enjoy, such as peace, quiet,
clean air, relative safety, and so on.

  I just can't buy into those that would say "This is
a free country and these are my intestines and I'll void
them on your desk if I want to and I'll be damned to live
in a country that tries to tell me I can't because I
have my rights".

  (...or the automotive equivalent thereof)

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada