a few questions...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: a few questions...
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:38:35 -0400
I'm new to the list, although not to MG's - I have three right now,
including a 1962 Midget Mk 1 which I vintage race.  If anyone was at Mosport
this year for the MG vintage race in June, I was in the white Midget that
finished 5th overall.

Question one:  I'm planning to lower my 1979 MGB Limited Edition (one of the
250 Canadian cars) by 1.5".  I have new springs and fresh shocks all round.
Anyone been there, done that, and have suggestions?

Question Two:  The third MG is a very early Mk1 Midget, serial GAN1 L 218.
I've had verified by British Heritage that this is essentially a pre- or
early production car, built in the month before the model was available for
sale.  It's a Canadian spec car, built for export to Canada, and (since they
started numbering at 100) is about the 118th car built.  I'm trying to
verify that it's the earliest left hand drive Midget surviving, and I'm
wondering if anyone has knowledge of other early cars, both left and right
hand drive.

Question Three:  I've noticed comments about a new Midget list, and would
like the subscribe instructions.  Anyone?

BTW, just got back from our autumn tour in the MGB - put about 3,000 miles
on in a week driving from Toronto to Provincetown, Cape Cod and back!
Except for the ten hour blasts there and back at 80 mph on the Interstate,
top down every day!  Car ran great, except that the points closed up during
the first 100 mile stretch and the car wouldn't start after stopping at the
duty-free shop before crossing the border.  Took 20 minutes to trouble
shoot, and then I regapped them using a business card as the feeler guage -
car ran great after that.  Yes, Canadian MGB's had point ignition right up
to the end...

We parked in Provincetown one day, and came back to find a second Canadian
MGB-LE parked next to us.  With only 250 made, what are the odds that two
would park next to each other 18 years on, in Cape Cod?  Chatted with the
owners, from Nova Scotia, I think, and they had owned their car for 15
years, same as we have.  Theirs was shinier than ours, so ours is getting
painted again, 10 years after the last time, so that it looks factory fresh
again too!

Came back through New Hampsire and Vermont - amazingly beautiful drive.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon...

Brian Evans