My 'brake'

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: My 'brake'
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:07:06 -0700
Hello,
        Well, I went home to do two things with my MGB, and neither was
accomplished.
 First, I wanted to drive that baby at least once before Xmas, but didn't get
to.  I
finally finished my front end rebuild and wire wheel swap.  I replaced my bad
water
pump with another one that was also bad.  The pump had a hole in the bottom by
the
pulley that I could only assume was for lubrication.  Water poured out of this
orifice, so I plugged it with a bolt goobed with JB weld.  Grapes (of wrath)
anyone?
 What is the life expectancy of a water pump that sits alot?  Would it be
worthwile
to buy a lifetime warranty water pump?

        I tuned the carb.  I was having a backfire/stalling problem until I put
some
mega-copper gasket sealant around the intakes...Stopped the problem, and the
car runs
beautifully...

        ...Stopping is another thing.  With my Father's help, I was bleeding
the
brakes, getting a full pedal when - whoosh!  The rear brake hose left
loose...After
this second hose burst, I've decided to treat the car to a set of stainless
steel
hoses.  But, for now, the car is a no-go, which leads me to my second problem...

        Without a semi-mobile car, my children's book idea was doomed.  Even
with
modern editing capabilities, I had to have the car in different lighting and
other
various positions.  So, that idea was scrapped, and in it's place, a new
brainchild
emerged...The A to Z of classic cars.  Thank goodness for Waldenbooks!

        Anyway, I didn't install my new carpet.  I didn't want to get something
that
nice and neat dirty by putting it in the prancing all over the car...So, that's
my
fall break, I won't get to see the MGB until Xmas, maybe by then I'll have the
stainless steel brake lines...Thanks for listening!
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College