Re: My 'brake'

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: My 'brake'
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:39:35 EDT
Mike-
        I can't help you w/ all your maladies but I can offer an opinion
on the water pump.  The little hole at the bottom is where the coolant
comes out after the packing inside the pump goes bad. You are, at best,
setting yourself up for a catastrophic failure.  The hole is a relief
hole and is supposed to be open.
        If the pump is aluminum then pitch it.  If it is cast iron, look
in the yellow pages under pumps, rebuilders, or something, and eventually
you will find someone to rebuild it.  All the innards are is a bearing, a
seal, and a packing material.  Nothing cosmic about any of it.  Stay away
from rebuilt aluminum pumps.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

"If you're stupid, you'll have to pay for it"

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:07:06 -0700 Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
writes:
>Hello,
>       Well, I went home to do two things with my MGB, and neither was
accomplished.  First, I wanted to drive that baby at least once before
Xmas, but didn't get to.  I finally finished my front end rebuild and
wire wheel swap.  I replaced my bad water
>pump with another one that was also bad.  The pump had a hole in the
bottom by the pulley that I could only assume was for lubrication.  Water
poured out of this orifice, so I plugged it with a bolt goobed with JB
weld.