RE: engine considerations - Time?

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: RE: engine considerations - Time?
From: George Merryweather <georgem1@asiaonline.net.tw>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 06:47:19 +0800
I generally agree with everything Art says, but would like to embellish =
his comment on 'hot tanking'.  This will also depend on the shop you are =
using, and what facilities it has,  My personal preference is to remove =
all oil gallery plugs.  The numbers and locations vary with which type =
of engine you are doing.  These are brass plug that terminate oil =
galleries, or drilled holes in the block casting, that routes oil to the =
proper place.  These areas/galleries can build up all sorts of crud over =
the years.  Without removing the plugs, and cleaning the galleries, =
thoroughly, will you ever get all of the crud out.  This process usually =
takes lots of solvent and pressure.  Heat can speed the process.  If =
your shop can blast out the galleries, then good.  If they are just =
going to use an over grown version of a dishwasher, then Art is right, =
not much to be gained.  Again, from my point of view, cleaning the =
galleries is critical.  95% of the galleries conduct filtered oil to the =
bearings.  (The missing 5% is the gallery that runs from the pump, =
diagonally across the block to the 'snout' fitting that then passes oil =
to the cooler and/or filter).  If you do not do a thorough job of =
cleaning these galleries out, then all you have done is to loosen =
existing crud, so that when that new oil comes coursing through the =
'veins' of your fresh rebuild, you take that crud directly to you new =
bearings!  That's a pleasant thought!  So unless you want to use bungee =
cord or velcro motor mounts, make sure that the block is clean, inside =
and out!  (Been there, done that, I designed the 'T' shirt!)

George Merryweather

Should you want further info. i.e. locations of the gallery plugs, let =
me know.