Re: "Crack of Doom"

To: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>,
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom"
From: "Jerry K" <jkprod@hc.cns.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 13:49:54 -0500
I have been welding and repairing semi trailers for many years and have
seen numerous times where a crack or break has developed in a trailer and
someone in an effort to repair it put a plate over the crack and welded
around the plate and down the crack.  I would get called in when the plate
or metal around the crack would come open again. Upon studying the
situation, I would normally find that the reoccurring break was caused by a
fracture or missing bolt at a remote location which created an
un-engineered for stress point.

In the case of the "Crack of Doom", mirror vibration can help perpetuate
the crack, but more than likely it was originally caused, and is being
extended by an alignment problem elsewhere.  In the case of this crack,
check the alignment of your quarterlight frame to the windscreen frame when
you close the door, mis-alignment can create undue stress that must be
relieved somewhere--------The "Crack of Doom"

      (Credits to Lindsay Porter/Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration)

>From my experiences!

Jerry K
3 74-1/2 MGBs
1 75 MGB