Re: "Crack of Doom"

To: sawhorse@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom"
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:14:16 +0000
From: "Tripp Household"

> I am currently restoring '80 LE. Have 3" tear in passenger door just
> forward of mirror mount. Would like recommendations on best approach to
> repair.

This is usually caused by the quarterlight touching the windscreen seal before
the door is closed, rather than just touching when it is closed.  Mirrors are
often positioned so as to strengthen this area.  On my 73 the hole in the top
of the door skin was just plain, so I fabricated a piece to weld behind the
crack that extended round part of the hole and had a flange down into the door
cavity.  Together with a carefully adjusted quarterlight, six years and 20+k
miles show no recurrence - yet.

PaulH.