Re: A lot of stuff

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: A lot of stuff
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:02:03 EST
Hi Larry,
  Having long ago been relegated to the revered O.F. category, I can
confirm my eligibility and qualification by the use of M for "thousand."
That's from Latin, of course, as seen on cornerstones of banks. M is also
seen on the tachometers of MGs at least through the end of the
chronometric instruments in the 50s.  The Roman mile, by the way, was
1,000 paces of five feet, hence 5000 ft. Romans must have had looong
legs. Then, to make calculations easier with Roman numerals, the length
of the mile got changed to 4280 ft, and everyone was happier.
  So, although the faithful B ran and ran and ran, and it was airborn
after a few particularly fine parties that I can barely recall, it made
no moon trips during my time of ownership.
Bob