Re: Engine Oil

To: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Oil
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:27:58 -0800
Skip Kelsey wrote:

> Bob:
>
> No, my Volvo is not a diesel, but I use the marine oil due to the fact that
> it is the only 15-40 engine oil that Amsoil makes. It just has an extra
> additive to combat moisture.
> Synthetic oil has no contaminants when new. Mineral oil always has some. No
> matter how much they refine it. Things such as sulpher and wax.All Airplane
> jet engines use synthetic oil, due to it ablility to withstand heat. As I
> stated, you can extend the drain periods somewhat. THe color of the oil is
> not important. All detergent oil will darken . The additive package is
> doing its job. If you have excessive blowby from the crankcase, The oil
> will darken faster.

I've been watching this thread develop into some string, and I have a question
based
on experience.  At one point, I was running synthetic oil in my Plym*uth, and
as I
was filling up, i spilled a big helping on the exhaust manifold.  Expecting the
car
to erupt in smoke, I fired her up with the hood up to watch the stuff burn off.
 The
funny thing was, it didn't smoke!  It just kinda boiled and evaporated off,
leaving a
little brown mark on the mani.  Does this mean that a car filled with synthetic
won't
smoke?  Another thing I saw was less oil consumption with synthetic oil.  Is
there
any evidence that switching from conventional to synthetic oils will harm an
engine?
 Thanks for the insight, enquiring minds want to know!
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College