od oops...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: od oops...
From: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 09:51:12 EST
what are the possible dire consequences of driving in gears 1-4 with the
overdrive engaged?  i have a 77 LH type overdrive on my 73 mgb.  i
recently bypassed the 4th gear lockout switch because it was causing the
od to jump in and out at cruising speeds.  i installed a panel light to
remind me that the od was engaged.  well, my wife took the car out
yesterday afternoon....when she returned, i thought i smelled burnt
clutch....she promises she only went through one full gear cycle (1-4)
before realizing that the unit was engaged.  i took the car for a brief
spin and the overdrive seemed fine.

should i expect any big problems from this?  (at least she never put it
                                                reverse....)
tia,
-robert