Re: OD engagement light

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD engagement light
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:36:42 -0700
Carol Asks -
>      "...REALLY worth all the
>             aggravation...?"

Nory agrees -

>I have to agree with Carol on this one.  One of the things I like about
>these cars is their simplicity, and lack of complicated modern
>"marvels".  It doesn't seem like this one is worth all the trouble - I'd
>probably blow out the transmission on the first day.

Steve comments

>Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  O/D is worth it!  If you daily-drive
>your car as I did for a year, and in your commute log a large number of
>freeway miles, it's a must have!  Without it, deafness reigns.  With it,
>only slight impairment :-).  I have had (so far) no problems with my O/D.
>If, however, I only drove the car on weekends and for nice little twisty
>road jaunts (O.K., I can dream as well as anybody!) then not having O/D
>would probably be fine.
>
>Just my $.02...

I have to agree with Steve (actually, I think Steve drove my MGB with
overdrive before he had overdrive himself, but I am not sure of the timing
here).  I have a 67 MGB, and when I bought it, it had no overdrive, and
someone had put in a 4 synchro transmission.  I converted it back to a 3
synchro with overdrive.  It is worth all of whatever trouble it is to
install it.  That said, it is like everything else on these cars.  If you
set it up properly, it will cause no problems for many years to come.  No
worrying about turning off the overdrive to prevent breakage - if you put it
in as it was designed to go in, it will turn itself off before you have a
chance to hurt anything.  The system is not complicated or modern - actually
the basic mechanical design was created by James Watt somewhere in the late
1700's - the electrical part is straight forward too.  Ok, so some will say
"but switches break."  Well for 5 years mine hasn't - and it was not a new
switch then.  I any of the electrical components break, I would gladly pay
the $15 or $195 to repair the situation properly.
Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C