Re: clutch replacement

To: glassart@jorsm.com
Subject: Re: clutch replacement
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:03:14 EST
        You are partially right.  There is not enough room to move the
transmission back.  I've heard stories of it being done w/out removing
the engine  but I've never seen it or been able to do it.
        When you get to the transmission cross member, you will have
trouble w/ the rear mounts.  If  you look at the cross member, you will
wish there were little holes for you to insert a 1/4" extension and then
plug a socket onto it to do the nuts.  Solve that little problem when the
cross member is out and you will save yourself several hours of torment.
When you reassemble, jack up the trans and assemble all the stuff
loosely, including the four bolts that hold the crossember to the car and
then, and only THEN, tighten stuff up.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com
"You see, the big six was dead in the water from the outset (sorry if
that is  hard
to swallow)- but it is sadly true-it was an unloved ill breathing cast
iron lump evein if
it's heart was in the right place."          David Knowles on the MG C