Re: Why would petrol companies oppose SB42?

To: simon_matthews@avanticorp.com (Simon Matthews)
Subject: Re: Why would petrol companies oppose SB42?
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 00:59:11 -0500
          "...todays gas on old cars"

I don't know about anybody else, but when we briefly had the
reformulated gas here my Midget ran really crappy.  No amount of carb
adjustments would help.  I just had to tolerate it for a few months
until they went back to the old gas.

Anyway, my theory is that the petrol companies want to sell the ref. gas
because it's cheaper (it actually contains less gasoline
percentage-wise), but if enough cars run lousy on it, then the
complaints would lead to a return to the old gas (like it did here).
The newer cars can handle that gas without much problem, but the older
ones just won't run right.

Another reason may be that they were counting on being able to buy and
crush our old "clunkers" (when they won't pass smog) so they could get
pollution "credits."  These allow the company to emit more pollution
from their refinery, because they "saved" society from those excessively
polluting cars.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort