Re: 79 Midget Questions

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: 79 Midget Questions
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 02:40:42 -0800
Larry Macy wrote:

> though. As to the Wing Vent - No Idea.

If this is any consolation, I had to do this on my B this summer, and it's not
much
fun.  To get to the assembly, remove your door trim panels.  Then, locate each
nut.
There should be two nuts that hold the bottom of the wing to the top of the
door, and
two that are on the inside of the door, closest to the jamb.  These are covered
by
those opaque little plugs.  Then, I unbolted every nut that holds the wing from
the car, including the one at the bottom of the track that the window runs in.
On
the B, there is a track that the window glass runs in, and at the bottom there
is a
bracket is riveted perpendicular to the track.  The bracket has an integral
stud that
fits into another bracket which bolts to the door.  This integral bracket on
the
track was my main stumbling block, since it is riveted to the bottom of the
track.
To remove the entire wing, I unbolted the window winding mechanism, but did not
remove it.  Instead, I let it lie at the bottom of the door.  With this
mechanism out
of the way, I was able to reach the bracket on the bottom of the track by
moving the
loose wing assembly around the door area.  I drilled the rivets out, and it
took
forever, I think they're stainless steel.  One the other wing assembly, I bent
the
bracket at the bottom of the track so I could remove it easily.  I wound up
bending
the thing to reinstall the new wing assembly since there wasn't enough room to
rivet
the bracket in while it is in the door.  Once the track was in past the
bracket, I
bent the bracket back to it's regular position, and bolted it back together.
Or, as
Haynes would say, "Assembly is the opposite of removal."
        I'm not sure if your Midget is like my B, so this may not be pertinent.
 If
you've got any questions, let me know, I might be able to explain this more
clearly.
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College