Re: New to list, first Q: MGF?

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: New to list, first Q: MGF?
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:01:00 -0000
Previously, on this channel:>>>>

*****************>>>>

Philip Raby said:

>One of the many reasons that the MGF was not developed for sale in the
US
>was that Rover does not, at present, have a dealer network. However,
that
>will all change with the launch of the new Land Rover Freelander which
>will be sold out there

 Michael responded:

There is a Land-Rover dealer network in the States, specializing in 4X4
(according to Rover), and that specialization is used as the
rationalization
for not using the network for one model (MGF) 2wd. The Freelander is a
RAV
type 4x4, but to the dismay of Land-Rover enthusiasts it will not have a
low
4wd range, or rugged frame construction. It is not, at this time,
planned
for the US market either. Reasons bounce around for this decision also,
but
seeing price quotes, I have to wonder if that is not the primary reason,
as
it is much more expensive than the competition. With the D-90 being
withdrawn from the US market, that leaves Rover with only the Range
Rover
and Disco being sold here -- surely they must have plans to sell
SOMETHING else?
  Price wise, wouldn't the MGF compete with the 6cylinder Z3 and the
Boxter
in the States? Most comparisons I've seen have the F against the 4banger
Z3.
To be realistic vis a vis stateside sales, how would it compare against
the
6cylinder and the Boxter?

Michael, New Bern, NC<<<<

*****************<<<<

1). LAND ROVER

The LR Freelander WILL be going 'Stateside - but not until the KV6
engine package with automatic transmission is available. Don't be
worried by the lack of traditional rigid frame construction - the
monocoque of the Freelander is still far stronger than the opposition.
In spring of 1998, the Discovery gets a major make-over, with longer
wheelbase and upgraded trim; this will be overtaken in turn within 18
months-2 years by an all-new replacement.

The people at Land Rover are busy, and production volumes are on the way
up to unprecendented heights.

2). MGF IN US

See my other various postings about this. It is unfortunately not a
simple equation of Z3 price versus MGF price. In the UK, the MGF sits
price-wise alongside the Z3 1.9 (and runs rings around it). At US price
levels, the MGF could not be built and sold with enough of a profit, and
the MGF unit cost is a function of decisions taken in 1993, before BMW
came along and plucked Rover Group from British Aerospace (BAe).