Re: Non-MG...but I could sure use some advise :-)

To: CyberKermi@aol.com
Subject: Re: Non-MG...but I could sure use some advise :-)
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:13:56 -0500
I have mixed feelings about posting this to the list, but I think comments
should be solicited.

>I'm fairly new to this list and MG's, but already many of you have made me
>feel right at home..I sincerely appreciate all the kind advise, and I look

<snip>

No problem. I too am new to MGs, and the advice of the list, and the help
of several people in person on the list have really helped me learn how
terrific these cars can be.

>So, now I'm stuck...at this point I never want to trust anyone again.  I have
>nada desires to pursue any of the contacts I made while working for Land
>Rover. But, I do have to earn a living, especially if I want to concours the
>MGA I find :-)  My question--Is there anyone in our group who could advise me
>in starting my own business?  I've been researching for the last few months,
>and I shoot down every idea I come across.  Most my ideas have either had low
>profit margins, high risk, or both!  What can I do? I want to be happy, i
>want to marry my girlfriend and have a family...I want all the things I
>almost had at LR, without having to go to bed wondering if I'll lose it all
>the next day! If anyone can help, please e-mail me....Thanks for any time you
>can give me.

I think that the way you feel is perfectly natural. My first job was at 14,
and at the end of the day I was told that they "overhired" and that they
didn't need me to come back. Well, you can imagine how crushed I was. I
knew it was a line of BS, but what could I do?

Anyway, you must have some talent working for dealerships - and that's
where you should stay. You yourself admitted that your boss was crooked, so
you should relish in the fact that he got his. Just remember - he probably
has a lot more bills to pay, and is loosing a lot more money than you are.
Some dealers are crooked, some aren't. You can't judge them all because of
one guy. You're just hurt, that's all. Lick your wounds, feel sorry for
yourself for a while, get over it, and start fighting again. "The system"
isn't all that bad.

As for starting your own business, well, unless you have some direction
(and you don't) it's not a good idea. Starting a biz is a big investment,
not only in money but in personal labor. Running a business means long
hours for little or no money. And while the SBA will front a percentage,
it's not enough to keep you afloat for long, and they certainly won't give
you any money unless you know what you want to do.

Saying that, here's where I think the money is in:

SERVICE INDUSTRY! Yes, no matter how poor your customers are, they all need
something from somebody. Foodservice is a kick-ass way to make money - as
long as you get a good rep. Fast food franchises are moneymakers that
pretty much run themselves, but oftentime will require a $1M franchise fee,
plus operating costs, plus the money needed to build a building, etc.

Stick with being someones employee for now. Trust me, I'm in the same boat
- I'm only 19, broke, and nearly out of work.

BEN RUSET - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
78 MGB Roadster - 89 Mercury Cougar
Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face
Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race.
On a saling ship to nowhere, leaving anyplace
If the summer change to winter, yours is no disgrace.