Non-MG...but I could sure use some advise :-)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Non-MG...but I could sure use some advise :-)
From: CyberKermi@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:42:00 -0500 (EST)
Hello Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this list and MG's, but already many of you have made me
feel right at home..I sincerely appreciate all the kind advise, and I look
forward to restoring a MGA with your help. Like most people though, I have
other worries besides my vintage addiction.  I'm 23 years old, and I have no
clue to what I will be doing to earn a living in the future... So, I thought
maybe some of you more experienced humans could give me some ideas.
First, I think I'll start off with what I've been doing thus far. Last year
was the begining of my junior year at college. Now, since I changed my major
about 5 times it took me four years to achieve junior status, and I was
pretty tired of school by then.  So last Fall before classes started, I
decided to send my resume' to all the "elite" car dealers in our area. To my
great surprise, the first call I received was from Land Rover..one of my
favorite auto manufacturers of all time!  I landed the job, and quickly
became like a son to the new owner (or so he led me to beleive).  I moved up
fast...and was given a $40,000 LR Discovery as my own personal
transportation, and within a few months I moved from sales to head of finance
(Finance was my major when I dropped out of school for this job).  So, a week
after I was given my promotion and salary increase, old MR. President/Owner
calls me into his office..."Tom" he said.."I'm going to have to let you
go"...my world crumbled with that little phrase.  He said if we didn't
discuss this any further and if I went quietly, I would always have a good
reputation with Land Rover and BMW Financial.  At the time, I actually
thought I needed his reference, so I left as I was told. A few months later,
I received a call from a friend...he informed me that LR had stormed in that
Monday and took the dealership back from the crooked s.o.b....my ex-mentor
and his son (who he had made VP) were fired on the spot! What goes around,
comes around? I have never found out exactly what happened, but I still have
nightmares about this whole experience.  Since I was only in the game for a
short time, I didn't have a chance to tie myself down with a bunch of
liabilities....if this had happened a little further down the road, I hate to
think of what would've happened.
So, now I'm stuck...at this point I never want to trust anyone again.  I have
nada desires to pursue any of the contacts I made while working for Land
Rover. But, I do have to earn a living, especially if I want to concours the
MGA I find :-)  My question--Is there anyone in our group who could advise me
in starting my own business?  I've been researching for the last few months,
and I shoot down every idea I come across.  Most my ideas have either had low
profit margins, high risk, or both!  What can I do? I want to be happy, i
want to marry my girlfriend and have a family...I want all the things I
almost had at LR, without having to go to bed wondering if I'll lose it all
the next day! If anyone can help, please e-mail me....Thanks for any time you
can give me.

your friend,

Tom