Its Running / Just not Well :(

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Its Running / Just not Well :(
From: Wake@csolution.com
Date: 11 Nov 1997 21:07:16 CST
Well the B is finally running, (Thanks Barney for the help with the
clutch problem), but it isn't running well.  Another brief history.  A
1973 B that  needed a clutch replacement, so I replaced the clutch along
with a "few" while I at its.  I have replaced both the spark plugs and
wires, and timed the car at idle to around 12 degrees.  I have adjusted
the idle so it is fairly smooth at 900 RPM.  I have "roughly" adjusted
the throttle shafts so both carbs seem to be fairly even.  I followed
the Haynes manually for adjusting the needle on each carb (Bring needle
up until flush with bridge, and then lower two rotations).

The problem is that when I accelerate the throttle, the car wants to
die.  If I stand by the carbs and accelerate the throttle linkage
rapidly, a fair amount of gas is spit back out the air intake.  I also
put the car on the road just to see how she would run.  It didn't have
enough power to "get out of its own way".    I couldn't get over about
35 mph and "crawled" up the tiniest hills.

I am really looking forward to getting my toy back on the road, and
would appreciate any advice.  I am contemplating an SU rebuild.  I am
sure that wouldn't hurt at this point anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn Wakefield

'73 MG B
'97 Toyota T100