Re: Results of compression test (what now?)

To: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Subject: Re: Results of compression test (what now?)
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:07:37 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Skip Kelsey wrote:

> You should pull all the head studs and
> broach all of the threaded stud holes. With time the torque of the studs
> pulls the threads slightly up. If this remains, then when you retorque the
> head it can leak between the studs. After broaching the stud holes, run a
> file across the face of the block to make sure it is flat.

Skip,
        What's broaching the threads, and how do I do that :)?  I think
one of the catalogs suggested something like this, but it was and still is
nothing but technobabble to me at the moment.
        As far as the filing, I don't mind telling you I'm more than a
little reluctant to file the head or block, having heard about having
machine shops precision grind this and hone that with mirco tolerances.
(Or do you just mean flatten the 'broached' holes after broaching)?
        Pordan my ignaronce!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege