Re: Results of compression test (what now?)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Results of compression test (what now?)
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 23:00:44 -0700
Although I would not rule out the failed head gasket/warped head/cracked
head theory, I have to agree with Barney.  Do the simple things first -
check the valve adjustment!  A simple adjustment may bring the compression
back up to the others.  If the car has recently lost power, you may get away
with just the adjustment, and nothing else, or you could try Barney's no
head removal valve grind.  If the compression is not up, then take off the
head and check for the bad gasket or warpage or cracks.

>It's my understanding that you can get by with compression that's a
>little lower than specs, as long as the compression in all cylinders is
>pretty close to the others.  That being said, I wouldn't worry much
>about 1, 2, and 4, but 3 is a major problem.  My first guess would be
>head gasket.  You could do the rings while you're at it, but if you
>don't want to get into that at this time, don't worry about them.  Check
>that head gasket before you do anything else.
>
>-NORY
>Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
>ONLY problem.
>
> '74 Midget & '71 parts car
> '94 Ford Ranger
> '86 Ford Escort