Re: List subject matter

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: List subject matter
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:08:11 -0700
>Most people want to chat about the time they were on a trip in fog and the=
=20
>lights went out, etc... =20

Ok then, here's the story.  Last Saturday - not yesterday, but a week before=
=20
- I decided at noon or so to drive to Boise (from Idaho Falls).  Probably=20
not many here know that route, but it is all freeway, speed limit is 75mph=
=20
except in a few areas, it is about a 3 1/2 hr drive each way with Pocatello=
=20
and Twin Falls in between.  Between the 4 towns (each of which takes 5-10=20
minutes to pass through except Boise) there is pretty much nothing.  Really,=
=20
I mean nothing - it is all desert.  So I drive to Boise for some reasonable=
=20
shopping (which I don't quite have here at home), and turn around to go home=
=20
at about 7:30pm.  Pass by Twin Falls, get gas, and go on.  Its about 8:30,=
=20
and my ignition light comes on telling me that the battery is not being=20
charged.  Realizing the battery is new, I figure I can make it home but not=
=20
with the lights on.  Hmmmm and it is dark.  Even worse, I used to have=20
generator problems all the time, but they seem to have been corrected.  I=20
used to carry tools, a spare generator, and a spare regulator, but you know=
=20
what, they are 140 miles away at home.  So I found my waterproof picnic=20
blanket, very uncomfortably curled up in the passenger seat and foot well=20
(I'm 5' - 10 3/4"), and slept until 7am - when the sun started to rise.  By=
=20
the way, it got down to 23=B0F, and I did not freeze.  Then I headed home=20
without the lights.  Hit some fog in a desert valley, but drove through=20
without lights anyhow.  Got home, removed the generator, replaced the=20
brushes, adjusted the valves, changed the oil (it was due), all runs better=
=20
than ever!

This is a story I've hit over and over and over.  Once it happened in=20
Columbus OH, going from Indianapolis to Pennsylvania.  Luckily it was=20
daylight.  Made it all the way back to Lancaster with no generator.  Once it=
=20
happened in N. Carolina going from Melbourne FL to Lancaster PA.  Had to=20
stop at a hotel then.  And once it happened going from Chester IN (dunes=20
state park) to Indianapolis - stayed with friends in W. Lafayette.  You=20
would think I'd learn by now to bring tools, and at least brushes.

  =20
Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB