Re: Exercize

To: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Subject: Re: Exercize
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:49:42 -0500
Hi Tom:

I would take a cell phone, a gold card and a shop manual so that the
runny-nosed kid who comes to take the car away will be able to show the
"mechanic" at Harry's Mechanix and Bottle Depot what connects to what.  I
would make sure that the town I ended up in had UPS or Greyhound service
and a comfortable motel.

The idea that we can plan for (and carry parts for) any eventuality
certainly suggests that we have no confidence in our car or our own ability
to repair/restore/maintain it.  Last year I drove my MGB on several long
trips, putting over 6,000 miles on it.  I took it in for servicing once
while on the road - to replace the new speedo cable with another, and to
replace the points which I guessed were new and would do but didn't.  I
could have done these things myself on the road but I was on a holiday with
my wife and didn't want to waste her time or get really grubby.

The MGB is a very reliable car and will do everything a modern car will do
if maintained properly.

John McEwen