Re: Exercize

To: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Exercize
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 06:33:35 -0500
At 08:33 AM 11/20/97 -0800, Lane Rollins wrote:
>>On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Tom Buchanan wrote:
>>
>>> A little exercize for you listers. If you were going to take a 3000 mile
>>> trip in your MGB, what parts would you take with you???
>>> Tom Buchanan
>

>>Great question!  I've got a friend in Seattle and I've toyed with the idea
>>of heading west to visit (from Indiana!!), but I figgured it'd just be
>>too hard on the little 'B.  ...do people actually _make_ 3000-mile trips
>>in their Bs?  (I'm sure it'd be dependent on the condition of the car, but
>>I'm just curious as to what types of 'long' road trips people typically
>>take in their MGs.)
>>
>>neil doane
>>73'B
>
>Why not???? I've taken the '55 TF on several 2000+ mile trips! Yes, under
>it's own power. I live in Portland, Oregon and it's been to all the GoF
>West's the last few years Lake Tahoe, Ventura, Calgery, Park City. Your B
>is 18 years younger I'm sure it could do it. What about Barney... this last
>summer he went from the Chicago area, down to Texas, up to Alaska, back to
>Texas, then back home. That was in an MGA.
>
>I may be crazy but I have fun!
>
>Cheers,
>Lane

General Comments. The condition of the car. The problem is  most often the
lack of regular use. I've been on six extended NEMGTR trips up to 7500
miles. The cars that have trouble are, the ones just out of frame up
restoration with 50 miles on the clock, or the ones that do 100 miles a
year with maybe an occasional oil change.  Any post war MG that is run
often, and carefully maintained will do 3000 miles of reasonable daily
driving as can be expected from most cars. If this is not you, go over the
car,top to bottom, or have someone do it for you, then put several hundred
miles on it before the big trip.

Obviously parts are harder to obtain from your local Pep boys then for a 92
Cavalier. For that reason I carry in my T type, plugs, points, distr cap
and rotor. I take Whits and reg combo wrenches, a test light, fan belt, and
a fuel pump. I also carry a needle and seat for the carb. That's it. If
something worse happens, its not the end of the earth, but a call to Moss,
or Abingdon Spares with your credit card , and a Fed Ex delivery the next
morning. It could happen to the Cavalier, and the Chevy dealer could also
need an overnight shipment. They don't carry everything that might break
either.

I've been on these trips where guys carry starters, generators, even heads.
That's terrific. (this year in Binghampton, I borrowed a starter for my YB)
but the lack of a part will only cost you 24 hours. Leave room for your
comfort and clothes. Enjoy your trip. chances are, nothing will break.

Mike