Re: fumes

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Re: fumes
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:09:10 -0800 (PST)
Dear Robert and others,

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, robert williford wrote:

=%Othe gas fumes from my 73 'b seem to be getting progressively worse.
=%Oi beleive that i need to replace the gas tank (i suspect pinholes
=%Odue to rust...).

Likely, but not a given, those nasty holes should be on TOP of the tank,
especially near the fill pipe. But I'll bet your fumes are coming from the
hoses connecting the vapor separator to the fuel tank. On my 70 BGT, they
were steel mesh encased and looked fine. I removed them and checked out
the rubber inside- they were cracked all the way through in numerous
places and leaked the fumes into the passenger compartment. I replaced
them with 1/4 inch fuel lines. I suppose that I should have covered them
with the steel mesh, but I didn't. So far so good.

  my question involves the vent from the gas tank that
=%Ois in the trunk.  i'm not sure of the technical name, but its the
=%Odoo-hickey on the passenger side with a couple of hoses leading to it.
=%Ois it possible that some of the fumes are coming from there?  the po
=%Ocut a couple of holes in the rear bulkhead for speakers that are no
=%Olonger there, and i beleive that the fumes may be coming through from
=%Othere.
=%Oalso, i know that i have the carbs set a bit rich, but the exhaust
=%Osmells _very_gasoline rich.  no black smoke or sputtering--in fact,
=%Othe car runs quite well--so i don't think its due to the mixture being
=%Ooverly rich, but i'm not sure.  any suggestions?  the smell in the
=%Ocar is threatening to cause brain damage...
=%O
=%Othanks,
=%O-robert
=%O 73 mgb
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II