RE: fumes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: fumes
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:15:04 -0500
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 97 19:38:20 EST
> From: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
> Subject:      fumes

> the gas fumes from my 73 'b seem to be getting progressively worse.
> i beleive that i need to replace the gas tank (i suspect pinholes
> due to rust...).  my question involves the vent from the gas tank that
> is in the trunk.  i'm not sure of the technical name, but its the
> doo-hickey on the passenger side with a couple of hoses leading to it.
> is it possible that some of the fumes are coming from there?  the po
> cut a couple of holes in the rear bulkhead for speakers that are no
> longer there, and i beleive that the fumes may be coming through from
> there.
> also, i know that i have the carbs set a bit rich, but the exhaust
> smells _very_gasoline rich.  no black smoke or sputtering--in fact,
> the car runs quite well--so i don't think its due to the mixture being
> overly rich, but i'm not sure.  any suggestions?  the smell in the
> car is threatening to cause brain damage...

You can do a quick check to see if your carbs are too rich.  The older
HS4s have a pin on one side which allows you to lift the pistion
1/8" or so.  I don't know if the HIFs have the same thing.  In any event,
warm the engine fully and make certain that the chokes are in the full
off position.  Then,  with the engine at idle speed,  lift the
piston on one of the carbs about 1/8".  If the engine speed decreases,
your mixture is too lean, if it increases and stays at that level,
your mixture is too rich.  If the engine speed increases and then
drops, your mixture is correct.

That thing which you described in the trunk is, I believe, supposed
to prevent liquid gasoline from getting from your tank into the
charcoal cannister in the front of the car.  Before replacing the
gas tank, I would check the hoses which connect this to the gas tank
and the charcoal canister.  As I understand it, this is a common
source of fumes in the boot.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net