Re: fumes

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Re: fumes
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:12:50 -0500
robert williford wrote:
> i'm not sure of the technical name, but its the
> doo-hickey on the passenger side with a couple of hoses leading to it.
> is it possible that some of the fumes are coming from there?

  Very possible, especially if it isn't hooked up right.

  That canister is supposed to catch fumes from evaporating
fuel in the gas tank, and seperate the vapour from the liquid.

  The liquid drains back into the tank, while the vapour is
drawn through a hose, through the carbon canister under
the hood, and into the carb.

  A very common cause of this problem is a ham fisted previous owner
who says "I don't need all this smog junk" and removes the half of
the system that pulls the gas vapour through the carb and burns
it safely.

  The effect is that the vapour canister collects vapours
and.... well..... makes your trunk stinky.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada