Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 07:12:22 -0500
At 08:43 PM 11/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Sorry, X1/9 (among others) predates tr-7
>And postdates it.  The point of discussion in this thread
>was the question of "the shape of things to come".  Some people
>went straight from 1978 to 1997, skipping a few automotive
>styles.
  This thread had 'implied' that the TR-7 was some bold new direction for
the sportscar, when it was just a bandwagon example of the wedgie movement.

>> it is a simple fact that the TR-7 had
>>more warranty claims against it than any other BL product
>So?  Your point is?

Well, duh! That it WAS a bad car!

>Car snobbery is so hilarious.  Everyone has to have someone
>to pick on, in order to boost their own ego. This is exatly
>the snobbery folks were complaining about, first attacking

Keith,
I agree! It is equally hilarious for someone to defend a historically BAD
car. You can love a bad car. You can make it better and maybe even good.
But, as in the case of the TR-7, it was a BAD car when it was introduced.
Look, I own a Jensen Interceptor. I would never claim that it is not a hot
car with the threat of niggling electrical problems and styling not for the
unsophisticated;-) I have a Series Land-Rover and I would never claim that
it is not noisy and sloooow. I have a 67 MGB and I would never claim that to
give it real umph is going to cost $$$$.

 But all this 'class snobbery' crap only tries to smokescreen that this
wedgie thread started because it was stated that the Wedgies picked on MGs.
Sometime perhaps in fun, but it is STILL hilarious to imagine TR-7 owners
making fun of ANY other British sportscars. And that pointing out of various
problems with other cars does not eliminate the fact that the TR-7s were BAD
and BL could barely give 'em away.
 I understand that you were not supporting the Wedgies in their endeavors.
But when its defects were pointed out, you shifted to a defense that
attempted to imply that the TR-7 was no worse than other cars. Enjoy your
TR-7s. Run the snot out of 'em. Erase as many of its negatives with creative
engineering as you can. But don't try to change history. It was a BAD car
that helped to drag down a BAD car company (BL).
 I realize that the list police are probably long bored with this thread.
Sorry, occifers. I'll take it private from this point on. Really.

Michael, New Bern, NC
67 MGB awaiting serious $$$$$
74 Jensen Interceptor, very often with electric windows.
SIII Land-Rover, goes like a goat, rides like a goat.