Re: driving questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:18:38 -0800
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> If it's true that 90% of engine wear occurs at start-up, as has been
> reported, then you will wear out the engine from starting it long before you
> wear it out from driving it!

I agree that most of the wear occurs during engine startups.  During
shopping or other stop'n'go errands I leave the car running - providing
one of my members is watching.  Some might see it as a waste of gas but
in the long run it pays back more in parts and engine life.  Which
reminds me about one of the DieHard battery commercials.  A bunch of
guys decide to play a game of hoops after dark.  In the scene the guys
jump out, looking so smart, while the truck's headlight is focused on
the ball field with engine off.  After the game they get back in to
start with no problems - of course. In reality such practice would kill
the best battery, starter, alternator, as well as the engine.  But I
wonder  how many watching that commercial actually grasped the truth
beyond the obvious: That is don't shut the engine unless you really
parked for the day/work or out of sight.

Peter Landy
'74 Bgt