Re: driving questions

To: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:25:19 -0500
Peter Landy wrote:

> This is the part where I am a bit confused. I would imagine all parts of
> a cold engine would contract or shrink more or less equally. So then if
> this is true how could additional clearance develop, internally, when
> the engine is ice cold?

     I'll jump in here.  This is from a materials class I had...  Ok
here goes,
the piston, when it gets cold shrinks/contracts... the cylinder, on the
other hand, expands (or, to state it better, the walls contract). If you
think about it, for the cylinder to get smaller would require that the
block expand.  Thus, bigger clearances between piston/cylinder.

Chris