Re: driving questions

To: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:29:46 -0700
Better check your tach.  In 4th overdrive (D-type, 3 synchro) you should do
22.3 mph/1000rpm.  This comes out to about 2695rpm at 60 mph.  The LH type
(4 synchro) is almost the same.  Now, if you are not using the overdrive,
you would be turning about 3370, not 4500.

>If you're running down the freeway in an MGB at 2500 RPM in 4th OD, you
>probably should be more concerned with how you're going to remove the semi /
>lorry which is about to implant itself in the rear end of your 'B. My OD only
>drops the revs a few hundred RPM, not a couple of thousand. I'm doing at least
>3000 RPM  (60 MPH) at freeway speeds.
>
>Regards,
>Jerry Causey
>1967 MGB GT
>
>> > As for improved gas mileage, in my simple mind I can't see how putting the
>> > transmission into OD will reduce the energy required to move the car
down the
>> > road, and, since an engine is most efficient at its torque peak RPM, the
>> > mechanical energy required to move the car can most efficiently be
converted
>> > from the energy content of the gasoline if the engine is operated near that
>> > torque peak, not at a relatively ineffecient 2500 RPM.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C