Re: driving questions

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:57:08 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-29 22:14:56 EST, gofastmg@juno.com writes:

> OK Dan, I'll buy all that as soon as you convince me that (in the
>  interests of economy, so as to not wear out the clutch release bearing
>  and shifter forks), you never shift into 4th gear, but remain in 3rd for
>  all your cruising.

Rick:

No, I can't say that I do, and if I had an OD unit, I would use it, but my
arguments still hold. They are just a valid (or non-valid, as the case may
be) for the 3-4 shift as they are for the 4 - OD shift. As a matter of fact,
I quite often stay in 3rd when driving at lower speeds on some of the windy
country roads around here, just because of the extra torque available at the
higher rpm range - more near the torque peak. Of course, I don't get as good
a gas mileage like that, but it is because of the excessive usage of maximum
throttle acceleration rather than the difference in the operating rpm range.

I can cruise all day at 80 in fourth, and have done it, but I can't cruise at
80 in third. If the rear end ratio in my car was such that I could, yes, I
might do it. Just for the sheer fun of it, I like to run right at the peak
torque rpm - when I stomp on the gas, I want the maximum response (else why
would I stuff a 302 V8 into a poor, unsuspecting, TR6?)

If my logic is flawed, what is the flaw?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74