Re: de-smogging

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: de-smogging
From: "John D. Perkins" <wrench@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:45:09 -0500
Larry Macy wrote:

> On 11/26/97 5:43 PM so and so  miker15@juno.com said. (And I quote)
>
> Will skip all of the long diatribe and give the best answers I know (I
> have been mistaken).
> The head plugs are best plugged with 1/4" NPT plugs.
> The other apertures are best covered w/ duct tape across the BIG hairy
> portions.
>
> 42
>
> >4) what is the meaning of life? - oops wrong list!
> >
> >All experience and ideas welcomed as ever.....
> >
> >mike robson
> >69 roadster
> >70 BGT
> >72 roadster
> >dictionary to look up words like "Sibyl"
Please don't take Larry's suggestion and buy 1/4" NPT plugs for the
head!!!!  The stock threads are 7/16"X14, I've always used 5/8" long
Allen head set screws to plug the holes in the head, then you can always
remove the set screws and reinstall the smog equipment at a later date
when your consciense or the LAW catches up with you.  Pipe plugs have
tapered threads and can cause stress on the head through over tightening
which can lead to a cracked head.  I usually use a 1/2" cup style freeze
plug for the hole left in the intake manifold when you remove the elbow,
again because it looks factory done and is reversible.  Sorry, Larry!!