Re: driving questions

To: madamson@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 19:55:47 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-12-01 14:01:01 EST, madamson@compuserve.com writes:

<< Another illustration of this is making molds for cast iron.  Molds are
made
 <<larger>> than the actual piece desired to accomodate the shrinkage that
 occurs when the part cools.  The exception is if you want a void in the
 part.  The plug for the hole is made <<smaller>>  so that shrinkage results
 in a void of the proper size.

 Regards,

 Michael.

     I can't stand it any more!!  I've tried not to comment, but here it
goes.  The bores should also get smaller as they get cooler.  For instance,
in order to put a new ring gear on a flywheel, does one heat it or put it in
the freezer?  The obvious choice is that it is heated to a very high
temperature to increase its circumference.  This allows it to be put onto the
flywheel where it cools.  The decrease in circumference allows it to stay on
the flywheel.  This anology should also hold true for the circumference of a
cylinder bore.

Tom Green
1979 MGB