Re: driving questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 22:35:46 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-12-02 02:20:58 EST, spawn@net-link.net writes:

<<
        That's the simple part (the piston that is)... now... take a hole in a
 large piece of material.  Does it get larger or smaller due to shrinkage
 when cold?  My memories of a materials class I had a few years ago tell
 me that the hole will get bigger because the material shrinks back
 toward the center of mass, not towards the empty space in the middle.

        Anyone have a more definitive answer than my half-remembered and
 possibly wrong memories?

   Since a cylinder is nothing but a flat piece of material that is joined,
could we not then deduce that this entire "flat" piece would decrease in all
directions as it decreases in temperature, thus causing a decrease in the
circumference and length of a cylinder?
Tom Green