Re: Driving Questions

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Subject: Re: Driving Questions
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 16:19:59 -0500
Chris Kotting wrote:
> As it gets colder, all the molecules get closer
> together, in effect shrinking towards the center.

   The flaw in this logic is assuming that "the center" has to
be somewhere in the material.

   In a shrinking cylinder, all parts can be said to
move .5% closer to "the center", with the center being
a point located in air in the center of the bore. All
dimensions shrink equally.

   The bore cannot grow if the material shrinks, because
where would the metal come from to make the "larger"
bore circumference?

   Guys we really have to get past this, this is a
law of physics that isn't really up for debate no
matter how many times it's restated.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada