RE: Yankee Go Home/Now Setting the record straight

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Yankee Go Home/Now Setting the record straight
From: qualitas@juno.com (jack Feldman)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 20:55:28 -0600
Two comments.

1. Lots of marques disappear without a word. I'm old enough to remember
De Soto, Hudson, Rambler, American Motors, Packard. The only one I do
remember a fuss over was Tucker, and that was a scandal, not a regret.
Back then us kids could tell the cars apart, and identifying the year and
make of a car was important to kids. Now all the cars look like they
should be squashed with the heel of a shoe. Perhaps that's why we like
classic cars, they have style and romance about them.

2. Off the LBC subject. Phil Raby said "There seems to be an arrogance
among some Americans that makes them think that they are the most
technologically advanced country on earth. But the USA is about the only
part of the world where you can' t use a GSM digital phone - you're still
struggling with analog...."

Not so Phil, cellular phones (AMPS-Advanced Mobile Phone service), were
developed by Bell Labs, and trialed here in Chicago back in 1986 (or
earlier?). Both CDMA (Code Division Multiplex), and TDMA (Time Division
Multiples), were developed here also. GSM uses an outdated form of TDMA.

I work in the Wireless (Cellular) part of Lucent Technologies and we sell
all three systems all over the world .We also sell GSM (The Sultan of
Bunei (sp?), the richest man in the world, was given his own GSM system
as a birthday present, and we are now installing a second system for
everyone else).

Also, the Jaguars that you are so high on are owned by Ford, who  greatly
improved their quality.

Jack