Re: Bon ami and oil burning!!(Could be LBC}

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Bon ami and oil burning!!(Could be LBC}
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 08:21:47 EST
Hi Mike,
  Thanks for your musings about your reasons for an MG.
   You asked about Bon Ami.  It's a cleaning powder, as are Comet, Ajax
and others. The difference is that Bon Ami seems to be the only one that
uses felspar as its polishing material.  It is much more gentle abrasive.
There are a couple of liquid cleaners, Soft Scrub comes to mind, said to
be more gentle than all but B-A.
   B-A illustrates its shaker box with the picture of a chick and says
"hasn't scratched yet"    That's a poor illustration, in my opinion,
since chicks start scratching about as soon as they can stand up.
   B-A, on the other hand, does not seem to grind off porcelain on sinks
and bathtubs, as do the other brands.  We recently had a harvest-gold
bathtub spray painted with some dreadful two-part paint. The guy who did
it had on more protective gear than GIs prepping for a gas-attack drill.
The instructions that came with the paint said that cleaning of the tub
should only be effected with a damp towel, Soft Scrub or Bon Ami, and
specifically warned against the use of any other cleaner.
Bob