Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 21:54:32 -0600
Nory wrote:

> While we're on the subject (and please excuse my ignorance), and since
> the Stag was mentioned, what, exactly, was wrong with the Stag?  I've
> only seen one once in my life (a couple years ago) and didn't think it
> looked too bad, for a hardtop.  Were these mechanical nightmares too?

Firstly, not all were hardtops. They had a neat T-roof design also.

Stags had a unique single overhead cam V8 all aluiminum motor. Sounds
pretty high tech. But they used a single row flimsy chain from the crank
up each back to twirl the cam and the cam tensioner design wasn't too
swell either.

If the chain wasn't monitored pretty close ("proper" maintenace) they
would brake pretty easy and lunch the motor. It's a real quandry if you
like Stags. They are neat looking cars and handle pretty well but the
damn motor was a constant worry. The quandry is that Stags are only
collectable if they have the original motor and the original motor was a
faulty design. The motor has nothing in common with the
TR8/Rover/MGV8/Buick motor.

It is fairly common to see motor swaps to V6's or small American V8s.
Then you have a powerful and pretty car that isn't worth much.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, 60Elva